Affinity COVID-19 Response
Affinity Mentoring is committed to the health and safety of our students, volunteers, and staff. In keeping with Governor Whitmer’s directive, in-person mentoring for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
- WORKING REMOTELY: Affinity Mentoring’s offices and sites will be closed until April 30. Staff are working remotely and are available via email. General questions can be directed to email@example.com.
- VIRTUAL FUNDRAISER: Affinity Mentoring’s signature fundraising event, Better Together Benefit Dinner, will become a virtual event. Students, mentors, and staff will live stream their stories via Facebook on April 29 at 6pm. If you have already purchased a sponsorship or tickets we will be in contact shortly.
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH: Our board of directors are accepting applications for Executive Director [Press Release and Job Description].
Mentor + Student Relationship Development and Communication
Although mentoring has been suspended, our team has been hard at work to adapt to the rapidly changing situation in order to best serve our students and their families.
Basic Needs and Family Support
- Our bilingual staff is providing ongoing communications (phone calls, texts, emails, etc) with all Affinity families to explain the crisis, alleviate concerns, and connect them with any needed resources.
- We are coordinating our efforts with school administrators, KSSN coordinators, and local organizations to provide resources and food to our families.
- We are sharing educational resources for continued learning at home in English and Spanish and on different platforms.
Mentor – Student Relationship
- We are encouraging mentors that already have an established method for communicating (phone or text) with students to reach out to them, to ensure that they are safe, reassure them that they’ll continue meeting together as soon as possible, and check in with how their student is feeling.
- For those mentors that wish to have a way to communicate with their students and don’t already, our site coordinators are facilitating conversations with parents and mentors (sometimes through 3 way calls) to receive permission, help answer any questions, and aid in the familial relationship development.
- Right now our team is exploring additional ways our mentors and mentees can connect despite not being able to physically meet. We will let you know how any programs continue to evolve in the future.
We will continue to share updates and resources with our families, students, volunteers, and community via email, our website, Facebook, and LinkedIn pages. Our staff will also be sharing educational and community resources online.
During this uncertain time, we ask that you continue to support the work of Affinity Mentoring and other nonprofits in our community. Your financial support is more important than ever.
– Affinity Mentoring team
Updated: April 5, 2020