Bring Affinity To Your School
Could the students in your school use some additional one-on-one time with a caring adult? Do students in your school struggle with absenteeism or recurring behavior problems? Could students in your school use some additional support from a volunteer trained in the fundamentals of literacy development?
Apply to bring Affinity to your school now or read on for more information.
PARTNER SCHOOL APPLICATION
Mentoring can be a part of the solution. Research shows that…
- Students who meet regularly with their mentors are 52% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip a class. (Public/Private Ventures)
- Young adults who face an opportunity gap but have a mentor are 55% more likely to be enrolled in college than those who did not have a mentor. (The Mentoring Effect, 2014)
- In addition to better school attendance and a better chance of going on to higher education, mentored youth maintain better attitudes toward school. (The Role of Risk, 2013)
MENTORS PROVIDE ONE-ON-ONE SUPPORT TO STUDENTS
After proper screening and training, our mentors are carefully matched with a student for the school year. Matches meet one-on-one for one hour, once per week, at school during the school day. During that time, students and mentors spend time:
- Reading + developing literacy skills
- Working on homework
- Building social and emotional skills
The relationships built during this time provide the extra emotional, social and academic support children need to reach their full potential.
However, mentoring isn’t a quick fix. Big changes start small and take time. And, when we commit to a school community, we’re in it for the long haul.
Affinity Mentoring is dedicated to being a support to the school and community as a whole. We work closely with the school staff, parents and community partners to recruit volunteers and resources to meet the needs of the school. We are continually working to create a positive school environment where families feel comfortable and supported.
Looking for a community partner? We’re always looking for opportunities to align our work with the needs and interests of the school community. We also love to collaborate with other organizations working in the school to leverage resources and increase our collective capacity.